zeebob

This blog is dedictated to our son, Zander.

Monday, September 17, 2007

The Adoring Masses Have Spoken...

There's been a bit of a clamor about the lack of action here at the Zeebob Blog. Well, I am here to assure you that he is bigger, sassier, and, strangely, eats less.

Here is the most recent picture I have on my laptop - from 7/24/07 - which isn't sayin' much, I'm aware.



We went camping this weekend so if I am not distracted by something else you will see photos here soon of a boy of unsurpassed happiness and shocking filth. I think we carried home half the forest in our car. Come to think of it, it WAS somehow more full leaving than arriving.

I was, independent of your nudges, thinking of posting recently because we have once again passed a milestone and it took Matt and I a week to realize it was happening. Sometime in the past five weeks or so, Zander refined his passion for pacifiers down to a single entity, known to we three as "Green Mucka." To all other muckas he would say "Blech!" and refuse them.

One fateful afternoon, green mucka was no where to be found. Last seen in Zander's mouth at bedtime the night before. I gave it a good search, offered him a lovely selection of four other muckas ("Blech!") and the eponymous Puppy and wished him good luck as I locked the stair gate and skipped off to have my mommy union break.

A week later, green mucka was still missing. We searched a bit more, we discussed options with Zander when it came up ("Blech!"), and generally made no big deal out of this. He was asking for it but not having a fit, and still going to sleep without a paci.

But then something happened that we could have never guessed.

Zander abandoned Puppy. The other night we were having our parental union break after Zander went down to bed and Matt noticed Puppy laying on the floor by the television. He pointed this out to me and I replied that in fact Puppy had been laying there all day because Zander had not asked for it at naptime. And it wasn't the first time. I'm not sure exactly when this abandonment happened but it followed closely on the heels of the disappearance of green mucka.

This transition couldn't have gone more easily if we had planned it. Matt and I determined early on that pacifiers were No Big Deal - some kids have a need more than others and Zander, possibly because of our rough start at breastfeeding, was a kid who liked that comfort. We knew he would give it up one day. And so he has. Sans peer pressure, lucky boy.

Now before you shower on the congrats and accolades let me assure you we have traded worries about where the hell was Puppy/mucka last seen (there was that time we left it on the porch of a house we went to go see with our realtor) for Monkey Boy. He climbs climbs climbs everything, runs everywhere, rides his trike like a demon, kicks balls around, dances, digs in the garden, deconstructs the phone book. He has--at the very least--4 times the energy I do. And he does it all on 200 Calories or less per day. Gah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home